For children who are rising 6th graders (for the 2019-2020 school year), LOFL will be offering a camp session that will focus on continuing to strengthen and develop literacy skills.
Certified teachers with strong backgrounds in the upper elementary grades will be using short stories/poems as a jumping off point to dive into:
- Reading comprehension (making inferences based on explicit or implied information, identifies main themes, provides text evidence for support)
- Critical analysis of author’s writing style
- Figurative Language vs. Literal Language / Analogies
- Writing Skills:
- organizational writing (introduction, body, conclusion with transitions)
- creative writing
- exploration of new vocabulary
Through the use of Google Blogger, camp writing can be shared with families throughout the session. In addition, Powtoon and other online tools will be accessible to incorporate art and technology.
Session 2: July 20 – 24
Session 3: July 27 – 31
- Daily lunch bunch offered from 12:00 – 1:00 (campers bring a nut-free lunch and participate in a follow up outdoor recess). Lunch Bunch is $12/day. (lunch bunch cost is included if camper attends AM literacy camp and PM enrichment camp).
*Full-day camp options available through afternoon enrichment camps